1.13.2004

ELEVATOR RIDE

So on my way to lunch, I ended up walking into the elevator with the President and the Chairman of my company. I thought about turning around - pretending I forgot something at my desk but then it would be obvious that I purposely left feeling very intimadated by them. Its ok. I'll just say something casual and make a good impression on them.

Swoosh

Beep

Beep


Let me walk over to this corner and take and breath before I say something. Damn my heart is racing. I should just say something with confidence. It doesnt matter what.

I should just say something. Right now. Something casual. but what? How about "Hows it goin?" or maybe a "There's a lot of changes in store huh?" or maybe they will say something to me..

Beep

Or at least say something to each other! Why arent they talking.. Maybe I wasn't supposed to enter this elevator. Maybe its common knowledge that you do not enter elevators with the President and the Chairman cause you will make them feel uncomfortable. Damn. I should not have entered. Maybe I should just hit floor 10 and get off.

Beep

No thats stupid cause its too late to push a button now.. either they will think Im a moron or they will know that I want out of this elevator. I know that they know that I know who they are. My cubicle is right by there oversized offices. I should acknowledge them at least. I should take the first step and say something.

Beep

Beep


Maybe I should NOT say anything at this point. Maybe I should pretend to fiddle with my shirt button instead.

OK. That took care of those 2 seconds. Someone please say something! Maybe I'll shuffle my feet a bit.

Shuffle Shuffle

Beep

Of course this elevator ride makes no stops for additional characters. It's just me, the President and the Chairman. I should totally say something when we are exiting.. like "Have a good one" or "These elevators sure take forever, don't they?"

or maybe I could just turn right now and say.. "I dont think we've formally met but Im Matt and I create those daily reports you get." ..but what if they just stare at me pretending to not know who I am... which I KNOW THEY KNOW but they dont have to acknowledge that. Its their privilege as executives. right?

Beep

Maybe the best thing to do at this point is to just show respect by not sayin anything.

5 more floors to go.

Beep - 4

Beep - 3

I should totally say.. "Have a good lunch !"

Beep - 2

Should I let them out first? or should I go? or should they?

Beep

Ding

God I hate my life.