7.14.2004

I CAN BE STUBBORN TOO

True story from the radio this morning.

An elderly man slipped and fell on to his driveway. Unable to get up, his wife tried to help. "Get away from me woman," he shouted. She then tried to call for help but the husband, being stubborn and proud, forbid her to do so. During the next two days, the man remained on his driveway, day and night. As needed, his wife brought him water and food and when it rained, she brought out a tarp to cover him. The neighbors offered to help but the proud man refused, shouting "Get off my property! I don't need your help." On the third day, the wife herself slipped and fell. She too was now unable to get up. When the neighbors saw that both the elderly man and woman were down on the driveway, they insisted that they help. "Yes, please help me!" the woman plead. As for the husband, it was too late. He had died.

Sometimes I don't stop and ask for directions. I think now maybe I should.