8.22.2004

CUTTING EDGE OF GAY?

"Do you realize that we are gay bloggers in West Hollywood headed to a bar to meet other gay bloggers? We are on the cutting edge right now, really."

This from my buddy Matt Lum as he, Darren and I made our way across Santa Monica Blvd. to OBAR the other night. It was to be our first blog gathering and aisde from the initial "Hey, I blog too. Can I be your friend?" awkwardness, it was as if we were all just at any typical gay bar, drinking our typical gay drink on a rather laid back and enjoyable Friday night. I'm not kidding. It was just like that.

Anyway, I remember when I was first coming out, I was both exhilarated and horrified to think that my new gay life with my new yet-to-be-made gay friends would orbit around a glittering ball hovering over 100s of shirtless muscled men in a place known as the ROXY. Around that time, Queer As Folk had just premiered on Showtime and therefore, my understanding of gay life was most definitely skewed.

Almost 5 years later, I laugh in relief at my naivete but even now, I am still constantly being surprised at how much more there is to the social patterns of gay life than what my neurotic mind cares to limit myself to. Meeting these bloggers as a virtual experiment, I realize that perhaps someday... maybe 5 more years down the line... somehow, we will all be free of the "stand pretty and hope to be talked to at the Abbey" routine.

Which is fine with me cause I suck at that one.